Carla, the founder, since little has always loved shopping and styling one of her older brothers, she would even pick out his outfits for going out...(still does)
Fashion was her passion and at 18 she moved to Paris and graduated from Fashion Design.
After living abroad for 8 years, she came back to the Dominican Republic and as usual started picking out her brother's clothes...again, this is when she first thought of creating Nineteen Seventy.
A swim and resort menswear brand, with the intention to design and create purposeful comfortable pieces for warm days and sunny skies.
Carla is daily inspired and driven by love of a life near the ocean, the environment she grew up in, a paradise in the middle of the Caribbean.
WE VALUE TRANSPARENCY
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
- We make all our clothing in Latin America. It’s proximity to where we are based helps in generating less C02 emissions going into the atmosphere when shipping merch, samples… (We could manufacture in China, which would be less expensive but more damaging to the planet)
- We don’t do fast fashion. We don't go with trend and all our garments are made from the best quality materials for them to last forever. Less garments = Less pollution
- Our production quantity is based on the amount of clothing we currently sale. This way we go sold out on merch instead of over producing and accumulating garments.
- We do not use any virgin plastic on our wraping, packaging process. We currently have EcoEnclose flap & seal bags, and Tishwish compostable mailers.
- Whenever possible and available we use paper made out of recycled content, like our postcards that go into your orders.
- 80% of all our merch will be made out of one of the most environmental friendly crops in the world, hemp.
- We will manufacture 50% of our clothing locally, helping reduce our carbon footprint.
- We’ll have our swim shorts made from recycled eco-friendly materials. We’ll work on collaborations and partnerships to help impactful projects who benefit people and our planet.
"In this journey I am
always learning, evolving, growing. I’ll be transparent through the process".