Nineteen Seventy aims to combine the concept of resort style, comfort and sustainability.
The designer and founder, Carla Vidal, aspires to find the balance between her two passions, nature and fashion. Having its source of inspiration in pioneers who have revolutionized the business of sustainable fashion, Nineteen Seventy was born.
She is driven by love of a life near the ocean, the environment she grew up in, a paradise in the middle of the Caribbean, Dominican Republic.
Moments spent around nature are our main source of inspiration.
The adrenaline when jumping into crystal clear waters, sunsets and sunrises,
riding the waves, boat rides...are some of the memories we create pieces for.
Our intention is to design and create purposeful, comfortable
and stylish pieces for the most unforgettable life experiences under the sun.
WE VALUE TRANSPARENCY
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
1. We make all our clothing in Latin America. It’s proximity to where we are based helps in generating less C02 emissions going into the atmosphere when shipping merch, samples...
(We could manufacture in China, which would be less expensive but more damaging to the planet)
2. We don’t do fast fashion. All our garments are made from the best quality materials for it to last forever. Less garments = Less pollution
3. Our production quantity is based on the amount of clothing we currently sale. This way we go sold out on merch instead of over producing and accumulating garments.
4. We manufacture with a woman own business, helping small bussineses to thrive and offer more jobs.
5. We do not use any virgin plastic on our wraping, packaging process. We currently have EcoEnclose flap & seal bags, and Tishwish compostable mailers.
6. Whenever possible and available we use paper made out of recycled content, like our postcards that go into your orders.
1. By the end of 2021, 80% of all our merch will be made out of one of the most enviromental friendly crops in the world, hemp.
2. By the end of 2021, we’ll also be moving 80% of our manufacture locally, helping reduce our carbon footprint.
3. By 2022, we’ll have our swimshorts made from recycled eco-friendly materials. (still haven’t found one that I love)
4. By 2022, we’ll work on collaborations and partnerships to help impactful projects who benefit people and our planet.
"In this journey I am always learning, evolving, growing. I’ll be transparent through the process."
thank you for your support, Carla.